The South African High Court in Pietermaritzburg, in KwaZulu-Natal, has ruled that the corruption case against former President Jacob Zuma and French arms company, Thales, will begin on May 17.
High Court Judge Nkosinathi Chili has said the trial is expected to run until mid- June.
“The court orders as follows one the matter is certified as trial ready in accordance to the judge president’s pre-trial criminal court appearance directive dated 7th November 2018. Two the matter is postponed in absentia in respect of Mr Zuma and the Thales representative to 17 May 2021 to 20 June 2021 until the end of term date for trial and will again resume on the first day of the third term in KwaZulu-Natal and any further dates that the honorable judge presiding and the honorable judge president may determine subject to further clarity and resumption of international travel,” ruled judge Chili.
Concerns over the case delays had been raised by the Jacob Zuma Foundation.
State advocate Billy Downer reiterated the reasons for the numerous delays so far. He also told the court that over 200 witnesses are expected to be lined up during the trial.